This page details the portfolio of David Swensen. Here you will find asset allocation and performance metrics.
David Swensen Portfolio: Asset Allocation With A Punch
- 1 David Swensen Portfolio: Asset Allocation With A Punch
Who is David Swensen?
David Swensen is the renowned investment manager of Yale University’s Endowment Fund. He almost single-handedly pioneered the massive diversification in alternative assets for endowments and large institutions. He is the author of the fantastic book Unconventional Success. In that book, he outlines the portfolio below. The portfolio is known for its simplicity and for its strong diversification. It is also known to do well in most market climates. As a kicker, David Swensen has the average investors interest in mind. He is known for calling out unscrupulous investments fees and corrupt investment practices. He is a strong advocate of low-cost index funds.
David Swensen is a clear runner up for being one of the good guys in investing.
Asset Allocation for David Swensen’s Portfolio
Returns and risk for David Swensen’s portfolio
|Portfolio Name||Number of asset classes||1 year return 2018||10 year return||CAGR since 1989||Risk Level||Market Correlation||Dollar Value|
|S&P 500 (Benchmark)||1||-4.52%||12.97%||9.84%||5 - very high risk||0.99||$167,045.76|
|David Swensen's Portfolio||6||-5.77%||8.86%||8.55%||3 - medium risk||0.89||$117,264.69|
Building the portfolio
Below you can see which mutual funds or ETFs you can use to build the portfolio. They are the best-in-class funds and ETFs for this purpose. Low-cost index funds. Read here how we selected the best funds.
Asset allocation for David Swensen’s portfolio
- 30.00% US Total Stock Market (VTI)
- 20.00% REITs (VNQ)
- 5.00% Emerging Markets (VWO)
- 15.00% International All-World ex-US (VEU)
- 15.00% Intermediate-Term Treasuries (VGIT)
- 15.00% TIPS (VTIP)
Advantages and disadvantages of David Swensen’s Portfolio
- A portfolio from one of the giants in the investment world.
- Well diversified so it will perform well in most investing climates.
- Conservative allocations so you may not suffer massive drawdowns.
- Feel safe in that you are taking the advice of one of the good guys in investing.
- Easy to implement and maintain with only 5 asset classes. You only need 5 ETFs.
- May be too conservative with its emphasis on bond allocation.
- May be too overweighted in al estate (REITs) for some people.
- Investors may want a more fine-grained portfolio with more asset classes (a more sliced and diced portfolio)
Go here for a rebalance excel worksheet.
Get the fantastic book here:
Summary and your next steps
David Swensen Portfolio is a well-diversified global portfolio recommend by one of the giants in the investment world. It is easy to implement and you will sleep soundly at night knowing that one the truly good guys of investing has recommended you a great all-weather portfolio.
Unsure that this is your next portfolio? Sign up for our newsletter and be educated on portfolios, stocks and how to make enough money to go to Europe next year.
Be sure to leave a comment if you have anything to add!
YOU'RE LEAVING MONEY ON THE TABLE!
Let us help YOU you get more money from your portfolio!